Sunday, June 30, 2013

Message of Hope

Today at church I was sitting through the meeting trying to push away the intense feelings of sadness. As the tears started coming, my dear friend reached into her purse and pulled out a little piece of paper. She handed it to me to me to read. She whispered that she was reading a book this morning when these words in the story popped out at her and she wrote them down for me. She brought the paper to church, saving it for the right moment, when she knew I needed to feel some hope and encouragement. 

This kindness and thoughtfulness touched me even more than the words on the paper themselves. It is little things (big to me) like this that bring positive emotions into my soul and strengthen my resolve to keep fighting this fight. This tender mercy today filled me with a calmness that God is aware of me. 

Here are the words that were on the paper:
Richard Paul Evans (from his book "The Looking Glass")

"Our false beliefs can be a chain to our souls. Only if we hold on to who we truly are can we be free."

"We are worthy - 
Worthy of life.
Worthy of love.
Worthy of kindness and gentleness.
We are NOT some mistake of God or nature."

I could write for hours about these words. But maybe another day. I struggle with so many false beliefs, with chains and with feeling "worthy" of anything. However, today I felt a small taste of what feeling "worthy" of love, kindness and gentleness is like when my friend reached out to me in her Christ-like way to let me know I am not alone and that there is hope. 

I hope these words bring others hope too, for we are all trying to be free and to believe we are worthy of life, love, kindness and gentleness. 



2 comments:

  1. Friends are such a blessing aren't they :) You are worth so much just keep holding on until that day when you finally believe it yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really bad at keeping up with all the blogs now and I completely missed this one. I have been reading lately on "false beliefs" and their tie to addiction. That note gets right to the core of the issue; repeating those phrases that we are "Worthy of love" until we believe it and feel it and know it.
    I love and appreciate you, more than I can express right now!

    ReplyDelete